This package provides the ability to access the contents of a Spine database in a way that's convenient for writing algorithms. The function using_spinedb is the main star of the package. Given the url of a Spine database, it creates a series of convenience functions to retrieve the contents of that database in the Julia module or session where it's called. In this way, you can populate a Spine database with your data for, e.g., and optimisation model, call using_spinedb in your module to generate convenience functions, and then use those functions to do something specific. This allows you to develop fully data-driven applications. One key example is the SpineOpt package, which uses this technique to generate and run energy system integration models.


This package requires Julia 1.2 or later.


julia> using Pkg

julia> pkg"registry add https://github.com/Spine-project/SpineJuliaRegistry"

julia> pkg"add SpineInterface"

Quick start guide

Once SpineInterface is installed, to use it in your programs you just need to say:

julia> using SpineInterface

To generate convenience functions for a Spine database, just run:

julia> using_spinedb("...url of a Spine database...")

The recomended way of creating, populating, and maintaining Spine databases is through Spine Toolbox. However, here we present an alternative method that only requires SpineInterface, just so you get an idea of how using_spinedb works.

Create a new Spine database by running:

julia> url = "sqlite:///quick_start.db";

julia> db_api.create_new_spine_database(url);

The above will create a SQLite file called quick_start.db in the present working directory, with the Spine database schema in it.

The next step is to add some content to the database. Run:

julia> db_api.import_data_to_url(url; object_classes=["actor", "film"])

The above will add two object classes called "actor" and "film" to the database, and commit the changes so they become visible.

At this point, calling using_spinedb will already generate a convenience function for each of these object classes. Run:

julia> using_spinedb(url)

julia> actor()
0-element Array{Union{Int64, T} where T<:SpineInterface.AbstractObject,1}

julia> film()
0-element Array{Union{Int64, T} where T<:SpineInterface.AbstractObject,1}

As you can see, both actor() and film() return 0-element Arrays. That's because none of these classes has any objects yet. Let's see what happens if we add some. Run:

julia> objects = [
	["actor", "Phoenix"], 
	["actor", "Johansson"], 
	["film", "Her"], 
	["film", "Joker"]

julia> db_api.import_data_to_url(url; objects=objects)

julia> using_spinedb(url)

julia> actor()
2-element Array{Union{Int64, T} where T<:SpineInterface.AbstractObject,1}:

julia> film()
2-element Array{Union{Int64, T} where T<:SpineInterface.AbstractObject,1}:

julia> film(:Her)

julia> typeof(ans)

Things got a little bit more interesting.

Now let's see what happens if we add some relationships to the database:

julia> relationship_classes = [["actor__film", ["actor", "film"]]];

julia> relationships = [
	["actor__film", ["Phoenix", "Joker"]], 
	["actor__film", ["Phoenix", "Her"]], 
	["actor__film", ["Johansson", "Her"]]

julia> db_api.import_data_to_url(
	url; relationship_classes=relationship_classes, relationships=relationships

The above will add a relationship class called "actor__film" between the "actor" and "film" object classes, and a couple of relationships of that class. Now let's see the effect of calling using_spinedb:

julia> using_spinedb(url)

julia> actor__film()
3-element Array{NamedTuple{K,V} where V<:Tuple{Vararg{Union{Int64, T} where T<:SpineInterface.AbstractObject,N} where N} where K,1}:
 (actor = Phoenix, film = Her)
 (actor = Johansson, film = Her)
 (actor = Phoenix, film = Joker)

julia> actor__film(actor=actor(:Johansson))
1-element Array{Object,1}:

julia> actor__film(film=film(:Her))
2-element Array{Object,1}:

Finally, let's add some parameters and some values to the database:

julia> object_parameters = [["film", "release_year"]];

julia> relationship_parameters = [["actor__film", "character_name"]];

julia> object_parameter_values = [
	["film", "Joker", "release_year", 2019],
	["film", "Her", "release_year", 2013],

julia> relationship_parameter_values = [
	["actor__film", ["Phoenix", "Joker"], "character_name", "Arthur"], 
	["actor__film", ["Phoenix", "Her"], "character_name", "Theodore"], 
	["actor__film", ["Johansson", "Her"], "character_name", "Samantha"]

julia> db_api.import_data_to_url(

And after calling using_spinedb:

julia> using_spinedb(url)

julia> release_year(film=film(:Joker))

julia> release_year(film=film(:Her))

julia> character_name(film=film(:Joker), actor=actor(:Phoenix))

julia> character_name(actor=actor(:Johansson), film=film(:Her))

julia> character_name(actor=actor(:Johansson), film=film(:Joker))
ERROR: parameter character_name is not specified for argument(s) :actor => Johansson:film => Joker

Library outline